Saturday, January 16, 2010

This is your brain...on not enough sleep.

So disregarding the fact that once I moved home to Virginia I have not been able to sleep in past 8 o'clock, I have made sure to get around 9 hours of sleep a night. The past few days, that has been thrown off and with only 7 hours a night I feel tired! I am getting old... once I turned 22 that 9 hours became more important. I think I am stockpiling for the future should I ever have a family of my own and will never sleep again (know the feeling Chelsea?). Anytime I am on a schedule though, my body will wake me up a few minutes before my alarm goes off and I refuse to get out of bed before that happens. So I am left to ponder important questions like: What will I wear today? Should I put on makeup? One slice or two bacon this morning? But occasionally I think of other things too, such as: What am I going to do with my life? Am I headed in the right direction to get where I want to be? (Laying in bed...probabaly not haha). And so on and so forth. Something that has really been on my mind lately is a dilemmna I think a few of us have struggled with. You may have a slight variation, but the thought is the same. God, I feel like I am living my life the way you want and I trust you, but how am I supposed to become who you want me to be here? I will explain.
I have been trying to knock out reading the entire Holy Bible so I can be better versed in the scriptures as well as crossing it off of a list of classic books I am reading. In Genesis 37, the story of Joseph begins. (For all of you who aren't too familiar with the Bible... this is the Joseph featured in the play Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.) Joseph saw in a vision that he would be a great ruler over many, including many people who would generally be ruling over him. Joseph felt he was meant to be a leader. And after some seriously rude and tricky business, Joseph makes all the right choices, and he still gets thrown into the big house (aka the clink, the slammer, or prison). If you've read the story or seen the play, you know Joseph gets out of prison after quite some time and goes on to be a very important leader in Egypt. But during all this, don't you think he may have felt a little discouraged? My media law professor Casey Hurley spoke about this one day at a devotional which I have posted the link to.(http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/Devotionals/2008_05_27_Hurley.htm) To the point. As I am here in Virginia answering approximately 200 phone calls a day in a cubicle... I feel I have a right to say... its kind of like prison. I feel like God has much more for me to do so how is answering crazy people's phone calls going to get me there? The short answer is, I have no idea. But that does not change the fact that God has a plan for me and I need to stop worrying about how it will work out. I believe it is human nature to be uncertain about the future, but stop worrying about it! So there is a life lesson I am trying to keep with me. And now I will put in a brief plug for an organization all of you know I love! The LDS Church! I will say they have impressed me the most in regards to any organization for service. 100% of humanitarian funds go to humanitarian needs. They are always right on top of things and one of the first organizations to respond. I want to have a business that runs like that! http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/news-features/lds-haiti-2010a.html

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya girl! Keep on keepin on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like two slices of bacon, shoot, i would love to be able to sleep til an alarm goes off...or sleep at all, ya that would be nice!

    ReplyDelete