Saturday, May 10, 2014

Motherhood

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way..."(A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens)

If you are a Mom, you get this quote. Motherhood comes in so many shapes and sizes. For some it is a  future hope for others an every day reality. Some of the best mothers I know don't have children of their own. But they have mother hearts. They give all and ask for nothing in return. My sister Darcie is one of the best examples of this I know.

Today was an incredibly hard day. Being pregnant and chasing after Emerson is sometimes more than I can take. Occasionally instead of finding joy in the journey, I am trying to get the journey over as fast as possible. We all need a break sometime though. Acknowledging you can't do it all is okay. 

But acknowledging all the things your mother has done for you is essential! I am in awe of the line of incredible mothers I come from. I honestly don't know how my Mother made it look so effortless. She worked full time but still made us a priority always. And then there is my Grandma, who is the toughest woman I know! She raised 10 kids, and from what I understand she did it without much help from my Grandpa. Yet she has one of the biggest giving hearts I know. The same one I see in my sister Darcie. The same one I am trying each day to develop.

Some days as a mom, everything is joyous. Other days it can feel like the winter of despair. Being a stay at home mom can feel extremely lonely, but then you get one of those sweet front tooth grins and you get the strength you need for one more diaper change, one more snuggle, or a little more patience when you have picked her water bottle up off the floor for the 18th time.

Although it is hard, I know motherhood is God's work. To finish with the words of Charles Dickens:

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done"


Thank you Mom for everything you've done and still do! I love you! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment